The Bottom Line
If you have been looking for an advanced Pilates mat workout that goes straight through the classical repertoire at tempo, with no stops, this DVD is for you.
- A complete advanced Pilates mat workout
- Exercises are performed with flow, and at tempo
- Verbal coaching is good and allows a workout without looking at the screen
- Wyatt demonstrates the exercises with competence and grace
- Includes some advanced variations and reformer on the mat exercises
- The narration never stops
- A 45 minute advanced Pilates mat workout
- Available as a DVD - $19.95 plus shipping
- Available as a Download - $14.95
- By certified Pilates instructor, Alisa Wyatt
- A straight-forward workout without a lot of extras
Guide Review - Review - Advanced Pilates Workout DVD from Alisa Wyatt
All Aboard! The Pilates train is leaving the station and it is not going to stop for 45 minutes. Not only that, but it is going to put you through the entire classical Pilates mat sequence, and then some.
Occasionally I get notes from readers who are frustrated because various DVDs they buy are not challenging enough. I don't think anyone is going to say that about this DVD. In it, Alisa Wyatt takes you through an invigorating workout that brings forth the many benefits of actually doing the Pilates mat work as Joseph Pilates hoped people would - with vigor, and strength, and commitment to each exercise.
Narrating a workout like this is difficult and I think Wyatt does a good job. She keeps you up to speed on the exercises so that you don't have to turn to look at the screen, which is helpful at the advanced level. But I hope you will watch Wyatt's demonstrations of the exercises, there is much to be learned from them - she is very able, demonstrating with a lovely, enviable level of breath and flow.
There are also well-placed choreography and alignment cues, and bits of encouragement that show Wyatt knows what people are needing to hear during specific exercises. The only drawback to so much verbal coaching is that I occasionally wished for a little audio space.
One of the many benefits going straight through the Pilates mat work at tempo is that the logic of Joseph Pilates' sequencing becomes even more obvious. In this DVD there are some added variations, and exercises from the reformer on the mat work, but they are well integrated.
For some advanced students this will be a straight forward DVD that you can use to get yourself to do a good workout on the mat. For others of us, getting through this workout with our Pilates principles intact is at the edge of what we can do - all the more reason to do it.
Next, see Alisa demonstrate neck pull here at pilates.about.com