The Bottom Line
MVe trained instructors and people with Pilates training, who have access to chair and/or reformer equipment, will enjoy the clarity and variety in these DVDs.
- Taught by skilled instructors
- Full and modified versions of exercises are shown
- Workouts move along at a good pace
- Includes instructor guides with exercises, cues, modifications and setup
- A varied selection of workouts keeps things interesting
- The music is repetitive and "canned sounding" at times
- The DVDs don't allow you to skip through by section, though you can fast-forward
- The chair workouts ask you to pick up the chair occasionally -- a challenging move for some
- Balance and Control Chair Workout (a lighter workout) made with active seniors in mind.
- Perfect Pair: Chair and Reformer (beginner) based on the "perfect 10" exercises for each piece of equipment.
- Definition Reformer (beginner), a full reformer workout with a fusion element of hand weights.
- Latin Dance Fusion Chair (intermediate) combines Latin dance moves on the floor with a chair workout.
- Other MVe titles include: Challenge Chair, Sculpt Chair, Everybody Chair, Energize Reformer and Everybody Reformer
- Instructor specific DVDs: Reformer Instructor Education and Chair Instructor Education
Guide Review - Pilates Workouts on DVD from Peak Pilates' MVe Series
I worked out with the four Peak Pilates MVe (Maximum Versatility exercise) training DVDs listed above. There are five others, including two instructor-education DVDs. Based on what I saw, I think it is safe to assume that the whole line is of similar quality, with good workouts and a useful instructor list of exercises enclosed. I recommend them to anyone looking for Pilates chair and reformer workouts on DVD. They are made for Peak Pilates' MVe line but could be adapted to any Pilates chair or reformer.
Something I like a lot about the MVe workouts presented in these DVDs is that they are no-foolin' exercise. Even the Balance and Control Chair, which is for active seniors and light workouts, moves right along. The fusion elements are nice additions too. These workouts demonstrate balanced routines blending floorwork, matwork, weights and even dance with traditional equipment exercises. I also appreciate the overall clarity of the instruction and exercise demonstrations in the MVe DVDs.
On a personal note, I had the most fun with the Latin Dance Fusion for the chair. It's a great workout with easy-to-follow Latin dance moves that get the heart rate up. Try it once you have some chair experience.Get more insight about Peak Pilates MVe training program in the article: Industry Changes - Peak Pilates Sale to SPIN Fitness.