The Bottom Line
- A great overall workout
- Interesting adaptations of Pilates exercises
- Close-up filming helps you see what to do
- Good pacing and not too much extraneous chatter
- Excellent introduction to working with weights and Pilates
- Modifications are not always clear
- A little low on alignment cues
- A Pilates-based workout with hand and ankle weights
- A level 2 to 3 workout with a body sculpting focus
- The workout is on the DVD with verbal instructions, and again with just music.
- Cost: $20
Guide Review - Pilates DVD Review: Sexy Body Workout 1, Pilates with Weights
I found this DVD in my collection by accident one night. I got it when I reviewed Jonathan Urla's New York Style Pilates DVD. I suppose I took a look at the title, and Pilates and sex didn't compute (why not?). Then I took a look at the scantily clad fellow on the cover and thought, Well, sometime, maybe, and put it away. Too bad for me, because this is a great workout, and the DVD does not have any particularly sexual overtones.
To be clear, this is definitely a fusion workout. Don't look to this one for pure Pilates, but the Pilates is there. Those of you who know Pilates exercises will recognize them and may appreciate the way that Jonathan Urla adds weights to familiar moves. There were several occasions when I thought, Oh, wow, that's a cool take on this Pilates exercise.
I like the way the program in this DVD develops. It adds weights sensibly, and I like the no-nonsense pace. Done regularly, a workout like this will definitely contribute to developing a sexy body. Oh, and core strength and other great Pilates benefits as well.