Here are some ideas for varying your Pilates workouts so that they remain safe, balanced, effective and interesting:
- Mix it up – go to classes, but add in working out at home with DVDs or Books.
Read DVD and Book Reviews
- Add new equipment to your mat work.
- Make up a new home workout for yourself.
See, How to Create Your Own Workout
Be sure to include warm up exercises. Also, be aware of counter balancing your exercises. Example: balance forward flexion with back extension exercises.
Quick Pilates Workout 1 is a good example of a balanced workout you can do at home.
Examples of forward flexion exercises:
Examples of extension exercises:
- Do a day of serious focus on the Pilates Principles.
- Follow #4 with a day of pulling those principles into creating more flow in a challenging workout.
20 Core Minutes of Pilates
or The First 10 Classics
- Explore Pilates Combined with Yoga
- Try working out with a magic circle(exercise ring, fitness circle).
There are many varieties of Pilates magic circles. Magic Circles often come with a DVD of sample exercises.
Find some Magic Circles:
- Workout with a friend. Workout at home, or many studios offer an expanded version of a private, called a "duet". Don't be afraid to ask - duet workouts are quite common in Pilates.
- Sign up for private instruction. Privates are a bit more money but very worthwhile. I highly recommend them.
- Try out a new studio or style of Pilates.