- Lie on your side and line up your ears, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles. Your shoulders should be stacked one on top of the other, as should your hips.
- Lightly support your head with your hand, making sure to lift your ribs away from the mat so that your back and neck stay in alignment.
Modify this position by reaching your bottom arm straight out along the mat above your head and resting your head on it.
- The front hand rests firmly, palm down, on the mat in front of your chest. Use this hand for balance, but don't depend on it - depend on your abs.
- Now move your legs slightly in front of your hips. This will help stabilize your trunk and protect your lower back.
- Rotate your legs outward slightly from the hips, in Pilates stance.