The Bottom Line
- Fun, upbeat energy makes workouts more enjoyable
- Jillian Hessel is an instructor with lots of teaching experience
- 3 workouts choices - mat, chair, standing
- Very good tutorial included
- Exercises are well demonstrated
- The workouts are somewhat repetitive
- None of the 3 workouts are very challenging
- From Jillian Hessel, a well-known Pilates instructor, fitness pro, and former dancer
- Includes 3 Workout - mat, chair, standing
- Bonus Personal Trainer Tutorial
- Draws on dance, yoga and Pilates moves
- Props used: light hand weights, exercise mat, small pillow
- regular price: $16. 99
Guide Review - HomeBody Workout DVD from Jillian Hessel
Though Jillian Hessel has done Pilates DVDs, this one is not, particularly. There is some Pilates in there, but these routines draw heavily on dance as well as some yoga moves. The workouts are not especially inventive, but Jillian has a genuine "let's have fun with this" energy that makes the workouts interesting and even fun. That the workout setting is in a home (Jillians? we're left to wonder) is a good reminder that home workouts are a very realistic idea, as well as making the vibe of the DVD more inviting.
I appreciate that the way these workouts are structured. Between the standing, chair, and mat work you do get to work your whole body, and focus on areas we all want to tone like the arms, abs, and thighs. I did all 3 workouts one after the other. That was a bit much. Not because it was too tiring, but because they are a little bit repetitious. I did start to get bored by the end of the last one. Of course, you don't have to do the routines back to back. And, I'm not a beginner. If you are, or you are just getting back into shape, you might find that same quality helpful.
There is a tutorial on alignment and how to do the exercises that is offered last on the DVD menu, but I think it should be first. It is an excellent, if swift, review of important alignment and movement principles you will want to apply to your workouts. Jillian teaches as a friend demonstrates and they make short, clear work of what can be some confusing ideas in Pilates like how to articulate the spine in a roll up, find make a C-curve, and do a proper pelvic tilt among other things.
When I review workout DVDs I sometimes like to imagine who's going to like them and how they will use the workouts. My sense of HomeBody DVD is that it will certainly appeal to beginners, but also, the workouts are great warm-ups for anyone. I can also see using them on days you need to get yourself going before work, or between tougher workout days - that's my plan. Find more DVDs featuring Jillian Hessel