The Bottom Line
- A good beginning cardio workout
- Easy to follow
- Includes Pilates mat exercises for strength and tone
- Can be done in a small space
- This workout may not be challenging enough for many people
- In the cardio routine, the music and movement often do not go well together
- The music is soft and repetitive - not always supportive of a high-energy workout
- A beginner level cardio/Pilates workout DVD
- 35 minutes of walking led by P.J. O'Clair
- 20 minutes of Pilates exercises led by Moira Merrithew, founder of Stott Pilates.
- Manufacturer's Retail Price: $14.95
- Includes extras like a next level bonus workout and the workout with music only.
- Compare Prices on this DVD
Guide Review - Stott Pilates: Walking Pilates Calorie Burning Workout
The Secret to Weight Loss, Walking Pilates Calorie Burning Workout Vol. 2. Wow -- that is quite a title and it begs a few questions, such as: Is there a secret to weight loss? What is walking Pilates? And what makes for a calorie burning workout?
There is no secret to weight loss. If you are healthy, a combination of good diet and exercise promotes weight loss. Increasing the exertion level of exercise through increasing difficulty or duration burns more calories. The workouts on this DVD will present a moderate difficulty and duration challenge for beginners. I've been doing Pilates and some cardio exercise for a while now, so this program was not a challenging enough for me to feel like it was a significant calorie burner.
I'm not sure this DVD lives up to its big title, but you might like it if you are looking for an easy-to-follow way to include some indoor cardio in home workout. Both the walking set and the Pilates exercise set are clearly presented, and I think a wide range of beginners will feel comfortable with them. The "walking" is mostly marching with some simple forward and back or side-to-side moves. The Pilates exercises are considered beginner but they do not start with fundamentals or show many modifications. If you are just getting started with cardio workouts and you want to combine that with the stretch and strength benefits of Pilates mat exercises, this DVD will fit the bill.
Finally, what is walking Pilates? There is no traditional form of Pilates that is "walking Pilates." In this case, walking Pilates means that one is paying attention to the movement and keeping good form with regard to one's posture. That's it.