This is one of the most targeted inner thigh exercises we have in the Pilates mat work. Set up for this exercise properly and you will feel it tone the inner thigh and work the abdominals. The top leg can be used for an extra hip stretch.
Time Required: 5 min.
- Set Up
- Lie on your side in one long line. Move your legs a few inches ahead of you so that you are in a banana shape.
- Lift your ribs and prop your head up on your hand. Be sure that you keep your back and neck in good alignment. *Beginners and those with neck issues will want to lay their heads down on an outstretched arm.
- Bring the foot of your top leg up to rest in front of your hips.
- Thread your top hand behind the calf and grasp the outside of your ankle. This part can be modified so that the foot rests in front of your thigh, and the top hand is flat on the floor in front of your chest for more stability.
- Inhale: Keeping the bottom leg straight, reach it so long that it raises up off the floor. Use your inner thigh.
- Exhale: Maintain that sense of length as you lower the leg back down.
- Repeat: Do 5 - 8 sets on each side.
- Increase the Challenge:
Bring the leg up and hold for a few beats, then slowly lower.
Advanced practitioners can try this exercise with the top hand behind the head, elbow lifted toward the ceiling.
- Make sure that you work from your core.
- Keep the hips stacked one on top of the other. Don't allow the top hip to roll back or front.
What You Need