The Pilates exercises in this set are frequently recommended to help prevent and decrease back pain, including low back pain. They strengthen core support for the back, teach good alignment, and provide gentle stretches for tight back muscles.
If you currently have back pain, consult with your health care practitioner before undertaking any exercise program.
Get details: Why Pilates Works for Back Pain
Points to keep in mind as you work with Pilates exercises for back pain:
- If your are new to Pilates or your back is fragile at the moment, you might be better served to work with the fundamental Pilates exercises first.
- Breathe! Deep breathing activates the supportive core muscles of your trunk.(among many other benefits, like keeping you alive)
- Your abdominal and back muscles are mutually supportive. You will want to support your back by engaging your abs during these exercises.
- Keep your neck long and your shoulders down away from your ears, like a giraffe.
- Be attentive to symmetry and balance. In most cases you will want your shoulders even and your hips to be even.
Learn to Use the Box Image
- Do these exercises mindfully. Go slow, be gentle, and don't do anything that hurts.