Smoothies and protein shakes are fun additions to a healthy diet. They can be delicious, non-bulky nutrition for before or after a workout. Many athletes depend on health shakes, and used wisely, without too much added sugar, they can be a weight loss aid. Readers are sharing their best health drink recipes below.
Do you have a favorite healthy drink? It could be a protein shake. It could be a fruit smoothie, a green drink with tongue-curling wheat grass, or some wild combo you've thought up.Your Health Shake Recipe
Peanut Butter, Banana protein yum!
- 1 large frozen banana, 1c almond milk (I like vanilla but any are good) 1 scoop vanilla whey protein, 2 T PB2 (freeze dried fat free peanut butter powder). Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth, It will have a texture from the peanut butter powder but it is yummy!
- —Guest JBD214
Orange Creamsicle Protein Shake
- A scoop of vanilla protein powder, 8oz of orange juice and ice.
- —Guest Orange Creamsicle protein Shake
Smoothie health shake recipe
- 'Smoothie Infusion' by Vega. Dissolve heaping tablespoon in 1cup (8oz) water. Add blueberries, strawberries, raspberries...and pulse in glass with hand blender until smooth. Delicious, hydrates, and fills you up!
- —Guest litehearted
- 1/2 frozen banana, 1 scoop organic whey isolate, 3/4 c. almond milk, 1/2 cup yellow fruit, 1/2 cup red or purple fruit, 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1 T chia seeds, quick grinding of cocoa nibs. Ice cube or two on a hot day. On occasion some flax seeds on top!
- —Guest Penn
- Try this recipe for a yummy smoothie: 3/4 c. almond milk, 1/2 c. orange juice, 1 banana (frozen), 1 date (pitted), 1 tbsp. ground flax seed, 1 tbsp. unsalted almond butter, 1 tbsp. carob powder, 1 scoop protein powder (I use vanilla flavored), 1 cup ice. Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
Yum Yum Smoothie
- 2 cups Almond Milk 4 tables of whey protein 2 tbl fresh ground flax seed 15 drops of grapefruit extract 1 tbl flax seed or Udi's oil Handful of fresh blueberries 1/2 apple 2 tbl shredded non sweetened coconut 1/4 cup each of frozen blueberries and strawberries 1/2 tsp approx of hemp seed 1 tbl amazing greens or Barley Max Blend and drink....Yum!
- —Guest Karen Burke
- My favorite incorporates veggies as well: 1.5 C spinach 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries 1/4 banana water to blend Low cal, healthy & delicious!
- —Guest Robin of The Balanced Life
Basic Protein Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana, 1 handful of frozen organic strawberries, 1 scoop of whey protein powder, 1 cup of OJ. Blend. I also sometimes like to put in coconut flakes (not shredded). Small amounts of coconut oil counts as a healthy fat and the flakes add chewy bits that I like.
- —Guest OMPilates